Sunday 26 February 2012

Welcome to Medieval Europe Blog: Tutorial Seven

Welcome everyone!

My name is Carol and I am your tutor for Medieval Europe (ATS1316). It's a great subject and I know you'll enjoy exploring medieval history as much as I do.

Though you'll be spending quite a bit of your time learning online, I thought I'd remind you of the physical nature of the book in medieval Europe with a couple of images:



jewelled cover of the Codex Aureus, c 870
illuminated letter enclosing musical angels



















The Codex Aureus is a Carolingian Gospel book and originated in the St Emmeram Abbey of Regensburg in Bavaria (modern Southern Germany). [See: Codex Aureus ]. In the image on the right, if you look carefully you'll see ranks of angels, many of whom are playing musical instruments. See if you can find a small lap organetto, the bowed string rebec and a plucked lute (there are probably others as well). This image is the front page of a site which I think you might be interested in and you'll find that on the right - From Manuscript to Print.

While we're talking about musical instruments here's a photograph of me:


Acord performance : The Traveller : Carol with harp, rebec and organ







Looking forward to working with you this semester - Cheers, Carol.

No comments:

Post a Comment